Wednesday, May 23, 2007

MARTA Is Not So Bad

My wife and I recently moved from Chamblee to the Druid Hills area. Since then (and living within walking distance from downtown Decatur) we automatically shifted from moderate conservatives to moderate liberals. There must be something in the water, or maybe it’s in the clean air of the Fernbank Forest, who knows? But since our move, we are now converting our yard to indigenous plants only, buying antiques to go with our 1950s ranch house, and buying art from only “local” or “southern” artists.

I have taken it a bit further this week. Yesterday, while filling up my gas tank (we don’t have a hybrid yet) I noticed all the cars, trucks, SUVs that were passing me only had one person per car. As I traveled to work, I noticed the same pattern, quickly did some math and realized why our roads are so congested. Well, me, the living and working in the city tree hugging, protesting liberal person, had to take action. I went to the Clean Air Campaign website and signed up for a carpool or vanpool. Unfortunately, I wasn’t matched with anyone but the system did match me up with a MARTA station 1 mile down the road from me. I had the choice to bike to the Decatur station, or drive a mile through the neighborhood and get free, security watched parking. Because we are getting into the summer months, I opted for the short drive to the East Lake station to hop on the train and transfer to the Brookhaven station where I caught my bus to the Century Center on Clairmont Road. An hour and a half later, I walked into my office a very happy and satisfied man. An hour and a half, you say; that is a waist of time. You’d rather be in control, sit in traffic, and get to work faster. You see, sometimes being in control can be very stressful. You drive to work by yourself, you get to listen to whatever station you want, but your drive to your destination doesn’t look like the car advertisements on television. Look closer at the fine print next time you’re watching T.V. Notice it says, “Driver is on a closed course.” You get to waste gas by sitting in traffic by yourself behind someone else who is “in control” of their drive and their life.

Let me paint you a picture of letting go. Drive/Bike/Walk to a local train or bus station and let someone else drive for you. In the old days, and in some circles today having someone else drive you around town is a sign of riches, power and prestige. They drive and you listen to music, catch up on a book, or meet a stranger who shares the same values you do. My parents always taught me to not waste time, so when you are “waiting” on the bus or train, don’t wait. Use your time wisely and catch up on that report or presentation for work, buy a paper and see what’s going on in the world, or just simply be still and quiet listening to the city live and breath around you.

I wouldn’t give you advice if I didn’t try it and agree with it myself. So, if you’ve been thinking about taking public transportation to work or to play, try it out and see what it’s like to let go a little, but still be in control, because after all…it’s your choices in life that make you who you are.

No comments:

iMixes