Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My Confirmation Story/History

I was confirmed into the Episcopal Church on Sunday, December 10th at 4PM at the Cathedral of St. Philip.

A little background about my decision: I have been baptized into the church. I received Christ when I was 9 years old and was baptized on April 12, 1989 at the First Baptist Church in Kilgore, TX by Rev. O.D. Oliver. I grew up Baptist and still stay true to my upbringing in the faith that my parents and grandparents taught me. I will forever love the hymns, and the lessons that the church instilled in me.

In College, I started singing sacred music at a local Episcopal (Anglican) church. I fell in love with the worship style, the feeling of GOD around me while in His holy place, and soon started accompanying my friend to a Catholic Church. The past few years I have struggled with staying true to my Baptist roots or branching off into either Catholicism or Anglicanism.

I believe I got the best of both worlds with the Episcopal Church. It is considered half Protestant and half Catholic; therefore, we sing many of the hymns I grew up with but worship closer to the way a Catholic Church would.

Last year, I took my confirmation class to learn more about the church, the different styles of worship, and why we do what we do. After someone takes this class, you may then join the church as an official Episcopalian and participate in a confirmation ceremony which only happens a couple of times a year.

I invite each of you to learn more about the service by reading about the sacramental rite of Confirmation at: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/19625_14080_ENG_HTM.htm

To learn more about the Episcopal Church please go to the Visitors Center at: http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/visitors.htm

Episcopal Churches Main Website: http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/

No comments:

iMixes